Saturday, June 29, 2013

Dear Parker,

Here we are…your 8th birthday.  I say the same thing every year and I probably always will, but I cannot believe that you are 8!  I have shared your birth story with you already, so I will not bore you with that again.  This year I hope to do something different for you. 

It has been years since I printed photos of you specifically for an album.  I had the idea of collecting photos, starting with your birthday, for over the next year and slowly putting them into a photobook.  Then next year for your birthday, you will have a book dedicated to “8” and begin with 9.  I like the idea.  I think you will like the idea too….especially when you will not have to filter through your childhood photos that I just threw in a box.

Last year you didn't get a birthday party, but this year….this year not only do you get two, but you get to have them at your house…..and, you might even get to have a friend stay the night!  Turning 8 is a big deal!

I think a nice little list of your “by the time you turned 8” achievements is completely called for:
  • You are living in your 4th home
  • You have traveled to: Ohio (duh), Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Colorado (although this shouldn't really count considering it was only at the airport), California, Virginia, and West Virginia
  • You have been to 3 different time zones
  • You have had 4 stitches
  • You have had your tonsils and adenoids removed
  • You have had tubes in your ears
  • You have been on 4 airplanes
  • You have gone through approximately 21.5 pair of shoes
  • You have grown approximately 4.44 inches per years since birth
  • You have gained approximately 10.75 lbs per year since birth (your weight plus my weight are over my finally pregnancy weight...it took a while for this)
  • You have started to learn a second language
  • You have learned how to read
  • You know how to add, subtract and multiply
  • You can write in cursive
  • You have help in two different neighborhood trash clean ups
  • You have ridden the tallest, fastest roller coaster at King’s Island
  • You know how to ride a bike, roller skate and ice skate
  • You have only missed one day of school due to illness
  • You have already experience the annoyingness of head lice
  • You have had a tick removed
  • You have been to three different zoos
  • You have been to a National Park (Great Smoky Mountains), a National Landmark (Hyde Street Pier) and a National Monument (Muir Woods)
  • You have earned 2 Jr. Ranger badges
  • You know how to “Google”
  • You have discovered your natural skill for art
  • You have watched (and understand) the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • You have finally reached the same T-shirt size as me ;)
This condensed list of the things that you have done in only 8 short years is nothing compared to the list of things that you will do over your lifetime.   Just think of the things you will accomplish in the next year?!  Starting a musical instrument, learning how to care for plants in a garden, learning to cook more complicated meals, traveling to new places…….

You are an amazing little boy who will probably be taller than your dear ol’mom before you are 10.  Turning 8 is an exciting adventure!  You have so much to look forward to this next year, and I hope to help you document it so that you may look back upon your childhood with pride and amazing memories.

Today is not only you birthday but your party day too.  You woke up this morning and before doing anything else, you made your bed and got dressed in your brand new birthday party outfit.  I can honestly say, this was the first time you have ever done that.  Almost immediately you started asking how long until your party. Be patient and enjoy your day kiddo, you only turn 8 once :)

I love you and I am so proud to be your mom.  You are extraordinary.

Happy 8th Birthday!!!!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.