Dear Parker,
Tonight we pack your bag for your adventure that begins tomorrow at Cub World. I have most of you bag packed while you "soak" in the tub. Just a few minutes ago you were declaring "I can't wait until tomorrow! Tomorrow is going to be so much fun!" Over and over again you exclaimed this. I am glad you did. I am nervous for you. My age and memory make me know how wonderful and cruel other children can be. Your innocence and naivety make you immune to the nervousness that I feel. Proud isn't even close to the word that I feel about your decision to go to resident camp-three days and two nights away from home without know anyone else that will be there You are brave. I would have never done this when I was your age. Some people have said it's because you are a boy. Others have said it's because I was the middle and you are an only child. There have been various theories presented to me to explain why and how you have come to be so brave and accept challenges that your peer's might not accept. I think it is because it is your personality. I agree that part may stem from being an only child without very many child relatives around you. You witness adults walk in to "like" situations with heads held high and you see them return victorious in meeting their challenge. I think though, that you have that call from deep inside. The inner need to meet a challenge head on and drive to succeed. While you don't always display this character, I have seen it surface enough times to know that you have inherited from both my maternal and my paternal sides of your family. It is a characteristic that runs deep with your L and M genes. I am grateful you are this way. It will take you very far in life.
I know when I arrive Friday evening that you will walk away from all the challenges and adventures you face over the next few days victorious. You will have made achievements towards you rank. You will learn about the world around you. You will be knowledgeable on how to practice safety and caution while handling a bb gun and during archery. You will test your self physically and mentally. Most of all you will grow emotionally. I will not be there for you to go to for help. I will not be there to make sure that you are paying attention when it is needed. I will not be there to tuck you in or kiss you good night. I think this is the hardest part for me. You are leaving as my little boy who has never stayed away from home without family. You will return older. Wiser. Less afraid of a world where I am not present everyday. You will feel stronger. You will feel more confident. You will feel older. You will be so unbelievable proud of yourself. This strength, confidence and pride will last forever. It will be a memory you share for the rest of your life. Not yet seven and you are crossing a very important bridge in your life.
You are growing and developing so fast. I can see a future of the kind of person you are mapping the path to become. I am grateful that I am your mother and I am witness to your life. You amaze me.
I love you very much. Pretty soon I may have to stop calling you kiddo....but not yet kiddo.
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.