Thursday, September 22, 2011



Dear Parker,
Welcome to Cub Scouts!  You are officially a Tiger Cub.  I can not wait to get you the little uniform because you are going to look super cute in it.  Tonight was the boat regatta....pretty exciting stuff.  You had some great help crafting your boat last night.  I wish that we had been able to spend more time working on it but we did what we could in the 24 hours of possession.

The race was not what either of us expected and I know you were really disappointed at first.  Watching you get upset about not being the best was hard for me.  The internal feelings of self disappointment is something that I feel too, still, even as a grown up.  The look on your face, the way that your shoulders slumped and how your head tilted to the side made me what to scoop you up and tell you how wonderful you did regardless of not winning.  I had told you that it was just for fun and not for winning or losing because I partially expected that but also I know how competitive you are and I didn't want to see the look and the tears that I saw tonight.  I am proud that you kept you composure as much as you did.  There was a moment where I could feel you wanting to just lose it and cry and be sad for your self and be mad at everyone else for doing better....but you didn't let that happen.  You turned the switch to still enjoy yourself even though you didn't win the race.  That is very hard to do.  Again, even as an adult, sometimes I can not turn that switch as easily as you did tonight.  I hope that you are proud of your self.  I hope that you see this first experience as just that, the first time you did it.  Often times, the first time is the best time to make mistakes and learn.  You didn't need to win tonight but you needed to learn from how your boat ran, how to not let yourself be too disappointed when you don't win and how to be a good sport when you want to win but lose to someone else.

You ended up with a third place ribbon and a patch to sew onto you Cub Scout shirt when we get one.  Both items are what you should be proud of the most.  You participated and you were a good sport.  Through both of those things you earned a ribbon and a badge.  Good job kiddo!

I am excited you are starting Cub Scouts.  I think that you will enjoy it and make some new friends.

I am proud of you :)

I love you,
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Way to go.....I did not know you had started this part of your life. I will have to go get my "old" Cub Scout books and stuff out for us to play and laugh at!!! Remember, just as with our Motorcycle Racing Trips....you don't always win, but just by playing the game you are always a Winner!!! Those who don't play always LOSE!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.