Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dear Parker,

You met Sadie today.  You have been waiting for this moment for a while now and it happened.  You were so happy and proud and gentle and caring, I could not have been more proud of you.  You know how to love outside our family.  Loving friends as though they are family is something that most people learn throughout their life.  It doesn't always come naturally, but you have made it second nature to love Nikki, Zach, Quinn and Sadie.  You remind me how easy it is to trust and love.  I know that you love them deeply because they are always on your mind.  You will randomly bring Quinn up, what her likes and dislikes are, because you are thinking about her.  You will laugh at a thought of Zach and you being ninjas.  You told me how pretty you thought Nikki looked in the picture taken of her immediately after she had Sadie.  You have made a permanent place in your heart for our dear neighbors.  I don't remember having those loving feelings for anyone besides my sisters and family when I was your age.  I am glad we have them in our lives, you have learned that you don't have to be related by family line in order to fit the definition of family.  It takes some people their entire lives to understand that concept, but you have it figured out.  You are constantly teaching me how to love blindly (as much as a grown up can). 

I will always remember your reaction to meeting your new baby sister.  You have been calling her that since the day we told you Nikki was pregnant.  You asked if you could be Quinn and the baby's big brother.  Well, first you asked if you could be their big sister and a little while later you changed your mind.

Keep your heart open.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.